Spring is just around the corner, and is a perfect time for some internal housekeeping.
If you think your day job is hard, take a look at your liver’s resume.
To Keep You Alive
- Performs over 500 tasks
- Processes and eliminates every sip of drink, every bit of food, every medication, and every breath of air you intake
- Detoxifies and neutralizes the poisons you breathe from smoke, exhaust, and chemicals
- Makes bile which helps digest your food
- Regulates glycogen storage, decomposition of red blood cells, and hormone production
- Harnesses energy, and stores it until you need it
- Makes new proteins
- Fights off infections
- Acts as a primary defendant agains germs, viruses, and other nasties that you encounter
- Burns your fat for you, and in fact, is the most important fat-burning organ
- Excellent team player
- Impeccable housekeeper
- Takes out the trash
- Enjoys working inside
- Good physical condition
- Reliable, efficient, punctual
- The only organ that can regenerate
- Willing to work overtime, but at a higher cost
From the time you were a fetus — until the day you die
- All Body Parts, Systems, and Functions
- Without me, you wouldn’t be able to get out of bed in the morning.
- Without me, you would poison yourself, and you would bleed to death.
- I don’t have a “check liver” light, so I don’t have a way to let you know that I’m in trouble, not until I’m at the end of my rope. And then we’re both in a pickle.
All the deliciousness in our life can add up to quite a load for our hardworking liver. So while enjoying all of life’s celebrations, you might consider some ways to be kind to your liver, and undoubtedly there must be …
(Adapted from Paul Simon’s 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover)
- Make a new list, Chris
- Don’t drown in beer, Dear
- Go non-GMO, Joe
- Double check the clock, Scott
- Make some juice, Bruce
- Choose good food, Jude
- Find all the best, Tess
- Add some aloe, Vera
- So that’s the story, Tori
- Just abstain, Lorraine
- Give it the deep six, Hicks
I would like to apologize in advance for this weekend!
I hope we can still be friends.
This article was contributed by Jane Hill – fierce Bikram Yogi, lover of all things natural, and my best yoga buddy. Look for more articles by Jane in the Off the Mat Chats section of Views From the Podium!